Friday, August 18, 2006

Title: The Blessing of Honor / Topic: Respect

Today’s Reading: Jeremiah 26; Jeremiah 35; Jeremiah 36; John 20

Scripture: Jeremiah 35:6-10, 18-19
6 But they replied, "We do not drink wine, because our forefather Jonadab son of Recab gave us this command: 'Neither you nor your descendants must ever drink wine. 7 Also you must never build houses, sow seed or plant vineyards; you must never have any of these things, but must always live in tents. Then you will live a long time in the land where you are nomads.' 8 We have obeyed everything our forefather Jonadab son of Recab commanded us. Neither we nor our wives nor our sons and daughters have ever drunk wine 9 or built houses to live in or had vineyards, fields or crops. 10 We have lived in tents and have fully obeyed everything our forefather Jonadab commanded us.

18 Then Jeremiah said to the family of the Recabites, "This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: 'You have obeyed the command of your forefather Jonadab and have followed all his instructions and have done everything he ordered.' 19 Therefore, this is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: 'Jonadab son of Recab will never fail to have a man to serve me.' "


Observation: I love this story of the Recabite clan. For generations they had venerated their ancestor by submitting to his instructions. In my opinion, they weren't even particularly good instructions (I don't think nomadic life is very desirable). But because he told them they would be blessed if they did what he said and because of their respect for him as head of their clan, they obeyed. And Father God uses them as an example of how His people should respond to Him. God then pronounces blessing on the Recabites because they have honored their father.

Application: I know many would read these words and bemoan the fact that so many young people today don't honor their parents as they ought to do. But that is not the point of this story. The point is to apply it to ourselves. Are we honoring our heavenly Father? Do we love and respect Him enough to obey what He tells us to do? I know I fall short of what I desire to do in this area, especially when it comes to my time management. I need to do much better when it comes to serving God with my time. I spend too much time caring about my desire for amusement than I should. I also need to make sure that I honor God by honoring the people He has put in my life. When we honor one another we honor Him who created us all.

Prayer: Father, I love You above all else (except maybe myself; at least at times). I desire to demonstrate my love by obeying every instruction You give me, for I know they are given so that I may be blessed and prosper. Help me to kill my selfish flesh and to do what I want to do in being an example that You will use for others as a model of honor, obedience and respect just as You did with the Recabites.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, Blogger Mike Stipech said...

This is a great story. And a good post. I do agree with you that honoring God by closely following Him in obedience is a great challenge. It requires constant diligence and an ongoing commitment to "work out your salvation with fear and trembling."

Lord, help us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home