Thursday, September 13, 2007

Title: Completing Repentance/Topic: Restitution

Today’s Reading: Ezekiel 33; Ezekiel 34; Ezekiel 35; Revelation 18

Scripture: Ezekiel 33:14-16
14 And if I say to the wicked man, 'You will surely die,' but he then turns away from his sin and does what is just and right- 15 if he gives back what he took in pledge for a loan, returns what he has stolen, follows the decrees that give life, and does no evil, he will surely live; he will not die. 16 None of the sins he has committed will be remembered against him. He has done what is just and right; he will surely live.

Observation: These verses contain a part of repentance that is rarely taught to people today; the act of restitution. When it is in our ability to make right the wrongs we have done, we are to do so. There are some things that we cannot go back and make right, and the grace of God covers those things when we repent of them. But God clearly expects us to make right what we can. It shows we are truly serious about change. If we have stolen, we must do all we can to repay it back. If we have bad-mouthed a person to others, we confess and correct our words. If we have lied, we confess to those to whom we have been untruthful. We show God and others we are serious about change when we finish our words of repentance with acts of restitution. According to James, faith without works is dead . Repentance without restitution is like faith without works. The hard work of restitution makes it much more likely that we will not sin again and also is a witness to others that we have truly changed and are serious about serving God.

Application: When I sin, I need to repent completely; with words and actions. The two need to work together prove my sincerity and so that the Spirit has freedom to work deliverance in my life from my personal strongholds of sin. My obedience frees the Spirit to work in my life for my benefit, working redemption and sanctification into my soul.

Prayer: Father, I pray that I would listen carefully to the Spirit for instructions about any acts of restitution that I need to make. I want to be fully obedient to you. Sanctify me Lord and restore my soul. May I become more and more like you.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home