Saturday, August 19, 2006

Title: Tell the Old Stories / Topic: Foundations

Today’s Reading: Jeremiah 45; Jeremiah 46; Jeremiah 47; Psalm 105; John 21

Scripture: Psalm 105:1,2
1 Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done.
2 Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts.

Observation: Make known what God has done; tell of all his wonderful acts. This Psalm starts with this instruction and then proceeds to recount the many times God faithfully provided for and protected Israel. The Lord tells us in other passages of scripture the same thing. We are told to rehearse the kind acts and goodness of the Lord to each other, to our children and grandchildren and anyone else who will listen. Why such an emphasis on the retelling, over and over again, of these stories. I believe it's because we need to remember them when we go through times of struggle. They build a foundation of faith so that we will trust that the Lord will come through for us again as he has in the past.

Application: I need to retell stories of God's graciousness and miracle powers in my life to others; especially to my family. God has done many miracles for us that I assume that my kids remember because they were there. I forget that they were quite young when some of these things happened and they don't remember them all. These blogs and my journals will provide lasting references to my family of my journey with God, the things he has taught me and the miracles I've seen firsthand. It's the most precious gift I can give them. I must not forget to share them verbally with them too. I was with my grandaughter Lauren several months ago and related a story from my childhood when I was 11 years old and did something mean to another child. The look of horror on her face was palpable. How could her precious Nana do something so awful! But I then told her how God spoke to me about it and how I changed my life because of his word to me. That story will help her more when she has a failure than if I had said nothing and kept up my "perfect" image with her (by the way, she still loves me). So share your stories often. It builds foundations of faith for us and for others.

Prayer: I needed this reminder Lord. I often speak of just current happenings in my life and in the world but I need to remember to speak of your kind acts much more often than I do. Thank you for this reminder and for all your faithfulness to me.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Blogger Mike Stipech said...

Cynthia, great post!
The stories of those who have gone before us are so helpful in passing along the wisdom that was gained through the hard lessons of experience. If we will listen, we can learn the lessons without having to go through the pain of those same experiences ourselves. And we can pass along our lessons to those who follow us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home