Saturday, February 25, 2012

It's the Little Things

TODAY'S READING: Num. 17, 18; Ps. 29; Mark 4

SCRIPTURE: Mark 4:30-33
30 Again he said, “What shall we say the kingdom of God is like, or what parable shall we use to describe it? 31 It is like a mustard seed, which is the smallest seed you plant in the ground. 32 Yet when planted, it grows and becomes the largest of all garden plants, with such big branches that the birds of the air can perch in its shade.”

33 With many similar parables Jesus spoke the word to them, as much as they could understand. 34 He did not say anything to them without using a parable. But when he was alone with his own disciples, he explained everything.

OBSERVATION: The parable is talking about how the Kingdom of God grows from a small seed into something very large. But as I was reading this I had the thought that our personal integrity and godliness grows the same way. It's the little things we do, the small choices that build our character. It's easier to do the "right" thing when it's a big decision. Most of those are done in a way or place that are in view of others. We can do the right thing when our reputation would suffer in the eyes of others. But what do we do, or think, when no one is around and would have no way of finding out? It's when we have succeeded in being righteous in the small things that we know that the kingdom of God has grown large in our individual lives.

APPLICATION: So how am I doing in this? Do I hold my tongue when it would be easy to join in the criticism that others are engaging in around me? Do I pick up litter on a sidewalk when no one is there to see me do it? Do I resist "fudging" on my taxes when there is no chance of being caught? Do I do my best at every job when my boss isn't there to give me credit? Am I kind to those who can't benefit me in any way, to the unlovely, unsophisticated, and "unsmart"? It is good to examine myself on a regular basis to see if I am growing in godliness and integrity.

PRAYER: Father, thank you for your Word and thank you for reminding me to check the little things that show more truly how I am growing spiritually than the big things do. May please you with my actions and attitudes even when no one else is around. I want to hear from you, "Well, done my good and faithful daughter"! I know your ways are high above mine. Teach me the way I should walk. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home