Thursday, August 24, 2006

Title: He Cares / Topic: God's Love

Today’s Reading: Jeremiah 33; Jeremiah 34; Psalm 74; 1 John 5

Scripture: Jeremiah 34:4,5
4 " 'Yet hear the promise of the LORD, O Zedekiah king of Judah. This is what the LORD says concerning you: You will not die by the sword; 5 you will die peacefully. As people made a funeral fire in honor of your fathers, the former kings who preceded you, so they will make a fire in your honor and lament, "Alas, O master!" I myself make this promise, declares the LORD.' "

Observation: These two chapters in Jeremiah are all about God's heart to restore His people to intimate relationship with Him even when they have horribly rebelled and rejected Him. What struck me about the above verses was the great tenderness shown by God toward Zedekiah with these words. Every person, especially as they grow older and face the reality of their mortality, wants to be remembered with love, admiration and fondness by those left behind. God speaks to this concern of Zedekiah's and promises him that despite his stubborn disobedience to God, and even though he will suffer punishment for that, he will be honored by his people when he dies. God cares about the deepest longings of Zedekiah's heart.

Application: God cares about the deepest longings of my heart too. No matter what I do, God cares about what I care about. I may suffer correction when I stray but His heart is toward me --- always!

Prayer: You are amazing Lord! I'm so very grateful that I can count on Your steadfast love that will never fail. You are such a tender-hearted Father. Thank You for bringing me into Your family. I pray I will always bring honor to Your name and never shame You in any way.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 Comments:

At 11:55 PM, Blogger Mike Stipech said...

Cynthia, I too was touched by this reading. How merciful God is to Zedekiah -- and how sad that Zedekiah rejected God. But that does not stop God from reaching out in love. Over and over again He offers comfort, hope, and grace -- even to those who have repeatedly rejected Him. What a great and merciful God we serve!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home