Sunday, August 27, 2006

Title: A Strange Inheritance/Topic: God's Gifts

Today’s Reading: Jeremiah 52; Revelation 1; Psalm 143; Psalm 144

Scripture: Revelation 1:9
9 I, John, your brother and companion in the suffering and kingdom and patient endurance that are ours in Jesus, was on the island of Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus.

Observation: John says he is our companion and brother in 3 things that are ours as a result of belonging to Jesus. This verse stood out to me because these 3 things don't seem to go together and they aren't what I would pick as an inheritance from the Lord. 1) suffering – who wants that? But there are other verses that indicate that suffering increases our intimacy with Jesus, builds character, and purifies us (see 2Tim. 3:12; James 1:2,3; 1Pet. 4:1). These are worthy results that all of us should embrace. 2) a kingdom – Now this is more like it! I can rejoice in this kind of inheritance. And we don't just get to live in the kingdom we receive but we get to rule in it! (see Rev. 5:10). 3) patient endurance – This is another of our gifts from Jesus that doesn't sound completely appealing. I want to be patient and have endurance but I'm not sure I like the process of how I have to get there. But again, this is worth the cost (Rev. 2:26).

Application: Though I may not like all the elements of what we receive from Jesus (at least in my flesh), I need to embrace them with joy because they attain for me the deepest desires of my heart. Through them I will become perfect. It is good of the Lord to prepare us ahead of time that part of receiving a kingdom entails suffering and endurance. That way we will not be caught by surprise when it happens. And the other comfort is that I know others have gone before me in this process (like John) and that I have brothers and sisters to share the journey with now.

Prayer: Lord, I want to fully embrace your gifts to me. I want to echo the passion of Paul when he says in Phillipians, "That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead." My heart's desire truly is that I may be intimate with you forever, no matter what it takes to get there. It's the happiest place to be. And help my children, parents, grandchildren and everyone of the people you've given us to care for make it the journey with me.

1 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Blogger Mike Stipech said...

Cynthia,
I too love it when we write on the same passage. I find it interesting to see the different take each of us comes up with. I enjoyed your post and Paul's prayer from Philippians that you included is great! Love it.
Michael

 

Post a Comment

<< Home